Thursday, September 18, 2008

Rani's poem - "My Life"

A few days back, Rani's teacher asked for volunteers who could contribute some writing or art for their school newsletter. She gave them one class period to do it in. And Rani, relying on her 11 years of accumulated wisdom, came up with this incredible poem....

My Life

I sit here thinking all alone
Feeling a little melancholy
I sit there staring at a stone
Feeling a little lonely

And as I look around, so sad
I feel the world seems evil
But then my eye falls upon a crab
I stare at it until....

My stillness encourages a butterfly
To alight upon my hand
I'm startled from my reverie
And suddenly I hear a band

Consisting of bees and birds and things
A rich rejoicing because we're alive
And I realize that I want to sing
Because I am happy with my life!


Perhaps it's my motherly bias :-), but I still find it hard to believe that she wrote such a wonderful piece, and that too in such an impromptu manner!

"How did you come up with the thought and the structure?" I asked her. "I don't know, Mom, I just wrote it", she said shrugging her shoulders, with the nonchalance of an 11-year old.

Well, I am still amazed and so very proud of her...

....and of course, it did get published in the newsletter!

No comments: