Thursday, September 25, 2008

Encounters with truths of the unflattering kind

Two recent incidents forced me to confront two sensitive truths about myself....

Encounter 1:
As my tailor was measuring me, I asked him to make sure that he keeps sufficient margin in his stitching, especially near the sleeves, implying that the clothes should fit even if I put on a little weight.

The tailor reassured me with : "Madam, your measurements are not big at all, you just look fat..."

Despite myself, I had to laugh - what else could I do? I mean, is it better to be fat with big measurements, or to look fat even if your measurements don't reflect it?!!

(Of course, it probably means he's going to stitch me ill-fitting, tight clothes yet again, which is even more depressing)


Encounter 2:
I have been driving to a class on Sunday mornings, and for these drives, have settled on a radio channel that amazingly played all my favorite songs at this particular time on Sunday mornings. One of the best things is that there are hardly any announcements or talking between songs, presumably because most of the channel's regular audience is probably not awake at that time on Sunday mornings.

Well, the other day, I happened to be listening to the same radio channel at a different time. And up comes an announcement saying - "On Sunday mornings from 8am - 12pm, don't forget to listen to our Retro songs program " !!

My favorite songs are now "Retro"?!!

Age and fat have piled up unbeckoned and largely unnoticed (which is probably a good thing in itself!)....:-)

No comments: